Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Joys of car ownership in SG

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Before I could proceed any further, I would like to reiterate that I not a Greenpeace activist, True Blue Treehugger or someone paid by SMRT to promote public transportation; But in fact I am car nut who loves cars and would spend a fortune to keep my 'ride' in a almost showroom condition.

But in the context of our great city state, In my humble opinion, a private car, which a mode personal transportation which is supposed to shorten travel time and provide more comfort and convenience to its users, doesn't seem to fit its purpose.
Allow me to state my point;
1. Cars in SG are generally overpriced and are under specced, compared to other developed countries, in order to create an illusion that cars in SG are afforable to public. But in fact, most car buyers take a HP loan of between 7-10 years to pay for their 'affordable' rides. (p.s. I am talking about bread and butter saloons used by lower to middle class people)

2.Prohibitive hidden cost of using a private car in SG; I.E ERP charges, HDB parking charges, Vicom Emission test (for vehicles that are more than 5 years old), maintenance cost, road tax and also insurance (lets not get into accidents to keep it simple)

3.The '24 points' in a SG drivers license, so guys and gals be careful in safeguarding your points, as you could lose it real quick and you would need to redo your driver's test; and also SG trafiic police

4. The prohibitive cost of getting a license

5. The mind-boggling, procedures and nomenclature nightmare in selling and buying a car in SG.

6. Traffic jams and too many traffic lights causing never ending stop-start trafiic and finally;

7. Singapore's famous efficient public transportation system, which gets you where you want to go, on time, and at fraction of the cost!

Hence, I ask you, Is it worth having a car in Singapore??

8 comments:

THE BIG MOVIE FREAK said...

Without car, cannot go eat supper at Changi, or watch late shows in Orchard. It's freedom, baby, yeah!
:p

jindavis said...

I bet u already have a plan to get your car any time soon... u bloody freaking hypocrite!

spoovans said...

Yo Guys,

I am not a hypocrite, but the fact is that getting a car in SG is rather unpractical, and also you could have freedom and mobility in SG via public transportation, especially with taxis.

THE BIG MOVIE FREAK said...

Dunno whether Tech Freak is referring to me or Car Freak. :D

Shuzo said...

as long as ONE of us got car, that's fine with me.
yeah...THAT would be you, tech freak.

next time we go changi airport for popeye chicken. you drive.

Anonymous said...

WTF! u gays talking about... Who r u guys? spoovans sounds like a dumbass... he loves cars yet does not intend to drive in an island...

WTF is wrong with u guys?

jindavis said...

Next topic please...
"The Joy of Sex"

THE BIG MOVIE FREAK said...

Have to ask Prof.X. He's the expert on human nocturnal activities.