Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Guitar Hero: For people who want to play the guitar but suck at the real thing


Partly peer influence and partly sheer love for the sweet sound of the instrument, I unloaded roughly RM600 (about S$300) into a beautiful honey brown Ibanez acoustic guitar when I was still a weeny teen. Nearly twenty years later, my musical prowess is still limited to the first half of Romance D'Amour and a simplified version of Eric Clapton's Signe (from his Unplugged album). And my guitar is currently in the better hands of Guitar Freak. I appreciate the efforts that he and Tech Freak put into whipping me into shape during all those hot, lazy weekend afternoons, but I think it would have been more fruitful if said whipping was more literal than figurative.

Yeah, my guitar-ing sucks (I couldn't even strum properly), but imagine the horror on Tech and Guitar Freak's when I completed Guitar Hero's Crossroads (ironically, another E.C. gem) and (Stevie Ray Vaughan's) Texas Flood on Medium setting before they did, and hardly broke a sweat doing it. They were astonished that I jammed my way through the solos with little difficulty, which they once claimed were impossible. To be fair, compared to the real thing, Guitar Hero is far less complex and easier to play. And it takes some getting used to for people like my two buddies so accustomed to plucking strings instead of nudging buttons. At the end of the day, it still doesn't mean dick, because it's not like you will become a better guitarist after several sessions of GH. I'm still as inept as ever, while my buds continue to make chicks wet playing their instruments of love.

Well, at least I still have the picture of their horrified faces in memory. ;)

5 comments:

jindavis said...

look at it this way... I'd have more time playing guitar hero for 15mins a day then to take my electric guitar out, and setting up my amps... once all done, I rather just go to sleep or some irritating mini-me comes to disturb the heck out of my whole "resting time"...

Guitar Hero all the way man!!!

Shuzo said...

nice...let's talk guitar, shall we?

a real guitar is harder to play. no contest. but what so big deal when you really do know how to play a real guitar? some people might still think you are a tit. why?

that's because some of these people who never play a real guitar, start their guitar learning experience first by playing GH and kill medium EC's "Crossroad". they happily think "WTF this is bloody easy!"

now, imagine those people are the chicks (dicks, for Prof X) you always want to get them wet and sticky with your real guitar. they are not gonna be impressed with your mild-mannered "Signe" or "Tears in Heaven".

so showing off with a real guitar these days is made harder by GH UNLESS you are a real deal, like that blind guy at Jurong Point MRT station, to say the least.

worst case scenario - you suck at both GH and real guitar.

solution - Rock Band~!!

THE BIG MOVIE FREAK said...

You made it sound as if everybody's into GH here. If that's true, then you'd be seeing people lugging plastic guitars around everywhere. Instead, it always seems to be just the two of us fools who look like we just bought stuff from Kiddy Palace.

Don't underestimate the power of string instruments, man. But the best lube machine is still the piano, of course. :D

jindavis said...

I love plastic GUITARRrrr..... Yeh!

jindavis said...

why u gay lords still talking about plastic guitar... if a chick dont like it, then they are NOT worth it...

btw, it's been so long seems I have seen my guitar, not sure if I remember how to play "OhMcDonald"..

So, when is our next excursion to CityMusic or Sweelee?